Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Plate rack for Sylvia

Another great thing that happened earlier this year was that I got my kitchen cupboard done. I have been wanting open cupboards with plate racks like I see in magazines. Plus my Kitchen Aid didn't fit under my cupboard and I had to keep it on the other side of the kitchen which made no sense.  So the plan was to make the cupboard about and inch shorter than the existing one in order to get it to fit underneath.  I've had the plans in my head for about 3 years and I finally talked Norm into doing it.  We bought pretty expensive plywood at a wood specialty shop.  I don't have a picture of the cupboard "before" but here is step one of the rebuild.
Old cupboard pulled off, wallpaper scrubbed off and wall painted.  Originally I was going to leave the wall behind the shelves white but decided to paint it yellow too.  There are a lot of marks and stuff on the wall because of the way the house was built.  I thought painting it would disguise it better.
You see there is a big gap between the wall and the edge of the cupboard.  This whole house is wonky like that. 
After Norm got the other cupboard up he filled the holes with putty and also tried to smooth out the wall a bit too.  By the way, the reason I was able to talk him into doing finally tackling this project is because he got an air nailer.  Gave him an excuse to use his new toy.  Whatever it takes, right?  As usual I was in a hurry so we set up the little heater to dry the putty faster.  We did this project in early March and it was wet and damp so it was taking a long time to dry.
Almost done. 

 Doesn't my Kitchen Aid look cute under there?  And my new Fiestaware?  I had been wanting Fiestaware for about a year and this motivated me to finally get it. I still love my red dishes and have put them away in a cupboard but I got them in 1986 so I thought it was time for a change.  Macy's and Kohls often has Fiestaware on sale so it was easy to get it on the cheap!  The blue flowered dishes are the ones I got in Rossland with my sister Carolynne.  As usual she was very supportive of my purchase - coughcoughshetalkedmeintothemcoughcough.  They are from a British company called Port Meirion and the pattern is Crazy Daisy.  Cute, eh?
Isn't it fabulous?  The cupboard doors are the original ones; just cut off to fit.  I love it sooo much.  Half the dishes were in the dishwasher when I took this photo but you get the picture.  I'm so happy with it.  Thanks, Norm!  Oh.... and happy birthday to me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment